Partner with the Genealogical Society of Bergen County
Ridgewood House History Examples
Click here to be directed to our webpage on how to conduct a house history
Click here for a print-out our research guide.
Click here for a video tutorial on how to research your house remotely.
416 Knollwood Road
Knollwood Road was previously the location of the Ridgewood Country Club. In 1927 the Manor Ridge Land Company platted this area and renamed it "Manor Ridge at Ridgewood". By 1943, 40% of the lots had houses. 416 Knollwood was one of these houses built, and you can read more about its history here.
324 Prospect Street
In 1892 Ridgewood lumber dealer Isaac E. Hutton sold a parcel of land on Prospect Street to a local businessman named Cornelius P. Crouter. Hutton is credited with having had “much to do with the physical development of the village,” according to the local paper. He bought and sold property throughout the town, and he no doubt supplied the lumber for Crouter’s house. To learn more about the Crouter family, and discover the history of this home, click here.
722 Upper Boulevard
In 1910 a bank clerk named Samuel Frederick Telleen, his wife Nellie, and their infant daughter Dorothy were living in the Bronx, renting a place on Tiffany Street. But they wouldn’t be there much longer. In August of 1909 the Telleens bought a parcel of land on Upper Boulevard in Ridgewood, and in 1911 they built themselves a house, at what was then called 274 Upper Blvd. Find out more about the Telleen family and the history of this home here.
279 Woodside Avenue
Between 1907 and 1911, home construction was booming in Ridgewood. Residential "parks" were being laid out throughout the Village, and one such park was Woodside Park. To read more about that development, and the history behind 279 Woodside Avenue, please click here.
249 Mountain Avenue
Mountain Avenue is located on a ridge in the Southwest portion of Ridgewood. This development of houses was once a part of Kathawood Park, developed between the years 1912 and 1927. For more information on the architectural style and development of 249 Mountain Avenue, click here.
Old Country Club
The Ridgewood Country Club opened on October 5, 1912 on Lincoln Avenue. It offered a restaurant, billiard tables, bowling alleys, and more. Though the clubhouse burned in 1919 a new building was built and opened in 1921. Many houses now exist where the Country Club used to be in place. Read more on the history of this historic area here.
296 Prospect Street
The approximate date of the first residents in this house was 1897, based on the City Directory. Over the years numerous families lived in the home, and as many houses in Ridgewood, its address changed over the course of time. At one point Dr. Harry S. Willard and his family lived in this home, a name familiar to many in Ridgewood as Willard School was named after him. To read more on the house and the families who resided there, click here.